Friday, August 1, 2014

I am always on the lookout for dress form ideas, there are some simple ways to make them, but they don’t always look great. If you are in the design world, then aesthetics are pretty important. I just read a great article on Foundations Revealed on DIY dress forms, link here, and it is good to see that others face the same conundrums.


I have also been wanting to make half scale dress forms more accessible. I bought a beautiful one from America, but the postage was excessive, costing more than the mannequin itself.  Initially I made a mould using plaster bandages, but I quickly realized this wouldn’t work: the bandages added bulk, so it was no longer a true size, and it was really hard to get off (my mannequin is getting quite battered). I then made casts using the paper tape method, which were very successful and look great, but took ages, so are not really viable as a product. Recently I had a go at using the duct tape method to make a pattern, which was ok, but the form mostly looks like a shapely cushion! The experiments will continue…

ps. I just found this post about making a cast, I might try this later

No comments:

Post a Comment