Monday, January 19, 2015

Foundations Revealed 5 Senses Competition - dress diary part 3

Being me, I got a bit excited as I was sewing it up, so decided to do it all properly, using boning channels and waist tape, a steel busk and eyelets, and spiral boning. I bound the edges with cotton bias and tried it on. Woop! It was great! Very firm, due to the inflexible nature of paper, but the shape over the bust was lovely, and in spite of the materials, was pretty comfortable! I was really happy with the shape the figures created over the bust and the way the waist is accentuated. 




Check out the pattern matching on the seams! That bottom and leg are perfect! Not bad for a material as inflexible as paper :) 


I am super happy with the shape over the bust.

My original vision was to get the fabric printed at Spoonflower, and after a lot of trial and error, I managed to upload the file. Due to the masking of so many versions of the painting, the file was enormous, and it took me a while to work out how to reduce it enough without loosing resolution. I chose the cotton sateen fabric because it is strong, and has a nice sheen. My plan was to back it with a lightweight iron-on woven interfacing, and line the corset with coutil.



Ready for printing - I hope!


When I committed to my layout, I was so nervous, hoping I had got the resolution right and the scale! Then I had to wait the 5 weeks for it to arrive, knowing that if it was wrong, it was too late to redo!

No comments:

Post a Comment