Monday, January 26, 2015

Foundations Revealed 5 Senses Competition - dress diary part 10

Now onto the binding. This was not going to be easy, given the curves and angles involved. I didn’t want to use bought bias as it is either poly/cotton or the cotton is too cheap, but matching the colour was going to be tricky. In the end, I had a roll of satin metallic bias I had bought from a clothing manufacturer selling off bolts of fabric and haberdashery, and the quality and colour was just what I wanted.




I machined the right side, and hand stitched on the wrong. Again, this called for a lot of pins, and this was one occasion when I couldn’t have sewn it without them!


I always start with the top edge, insert the boning, then do the bottom edge. I used steel boning on the center front and two rows on the center back to support the lacing. For the rest, I used spiral boning, and even though I have loads of pre-tipped, none fitted – boo! But I have plenty of rolls on hand, so cut it to size.




At great expense (seriously it was a huge palava, and ended up costing a bomb!) I bought a tipping tool for my press. These things are not easy to find, and once I actually had one in my hot little hand, what do you know, it just isn’t great. An article I read suggested using electrical tubing, which is generally what I turn to now, and works a treat. I alternate between using a heat gun (which gets so hot it melts more than the tubing) and my crème brulee blow torch. Today, I used the blow torch, and didn’t scorch the plastic – too much.



No comments:

Post a Comment