Monday, January 19, 2015

Foundations Revealed 5 Senses Competition - dress diary part 4

Meantime, I had a burlesque event to go to, so I decided to wear the paper version. It looked great with tailored pants and I felt pretty snappy, until my inherently introverted nature kicked in and I took it off (and not even a photo to show for it!). What it made me realise though, was that actually, this corset was really good in its own right, and the fact that it was made in paper meant it fitted the brief perfectly: it was unexpected to feel paper instead of fabric, it sounded different due to the stiffness, and of course it looked different, as the paper had caught the feed dog while sewing, scratching the print and creating a slightly distressed texture.

I still wanted to make the fabric version, and when the material arrived I was so excited! It was perfectly to scale (I had included a 5cm square to check in blue), and the colours and resolution were lovely. Due to the width of the cotton sateen, I was able to get two full prints in one length, it didn't even use a metre of fabric, and if I make a mistake sewing it up, I have a spare! I am also really interested to see if the corset will be slightly bigger given that fabric will give.


Ta Daaaaaa!


A comparison between the paper corset and printed fabric. There is a slight colour difference, but I put that down to different printers.

But. On December 31st I had a hysterectomy, which means that I have had to rest, and have now had the longest break from sewing that I have had in years. Meanwhile, the fabric is sitting on my sewing table patiently waiting to be born.


My machines sitting forlorn....

I can, however, sit at a computer for short periods of time, so I have been working on making a digital pattern for sale, fully graded with different cup sizes:

C Cup 


B Cup


So my big question is, will I be fit enough to sew it before the completion closes? Or do I submit the paper version, which isn’t as polished in terms of its construction as a fabric one would be, but on the other hand, perhaps it fits the brief better?

No comments:

Post a Comment