Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Foundations Revealed 5 Senses Competition - dress diary part 12

Fitting the sleeves.

I am really happy with the sleeves, so I will sew them on. I think they balance the lines of the corset, and by emphasising the shoulders, the waist appears smaller, creating an hourglass effect. I am happy with the gap at the back too, the lacing panels are parallel, which is important. I laced myself into this to try it on, and it wasn't so hard, particularly given that it is about 40 degrees today in Perth! It is so hot, I can barely hold a needle, talk about sewing in a sweat shop!



The fit is firm, but I am sure that with wear it would mould and soften. The shape over the bust isn't as extreme as with the paper version, which is interesting given that it is exactly the same pattern. My op scar shows, so if I photograph it on me, I will have to make sure I keep it covered! At least my belly has deflated enough to try it on!


The finished corset! Introducing Synesthesia!

So here it is: finished. Whew! I wasn't sure I would make it! So which one to enter? The paper one is great fun, has a distinctive sound and feel, but because of the nature of paper, I wasn't able to get the finish I like. The fabric one is beautiful, even if I say so myself. It has all the features I value, perfect boning channels, flossing, hand finishing; it may not be as original, but even so, it has really pushed me, from concept and digital design, printing to scale, to making it and getting the sleeves just right. The painting is literally titled the five senses, so it still meets the criteria; and of course there is a tactile element to it, from the cotton sateen, the silk ribbons, the weight of it, and just the fact that it is a corset seems to me involve all the senses.



the fabric version (right) and paper version (left)


flossing detail


sleeve detail

And now to photograph it. Do I use myself (I am available) or find a model, which could be tricky given I only have a few days left... To quote Scarlet O'Hara, I'll think about it later. Now it's time for a nap!

No comments:

Post a Comment