Monday, January 26, 2015

Foundations Revealed 5 Senses Competition - dress diary part 8

Day 2:
Because I like a sweetheart shape at the front, I reinforce the busk with steel boning. This also serves to secure the waist tape neatly, and avoids bulk when I insert the busk; and if the colour doesn’t match the outer, it doesn’t matter as it doesn’t show.



 A bit about boning channels. I have experimented a lot with different materials. Bias binding is too fine, even though it will bend nicely to curves, and I have tried the ones below: a cotton tape, a twill tape, and cotton channel tape. The cotton channels are idea in many ways; strong enough to not let the boning rub, easy to sew in (has neat bonded edges), plenty of room to insert boning, and can be dyed. Except that it is quite stiff, and not easy over curves like bust shaping.



But this is what I chose anyway, and even though I have an aversion to pins, I used several to hold it in place and manipulate it around the bust shape (this corset has a C cup). I like to sew the waist tape over the channels; it could go under with this type of tape, as the tube means boning doesn’t get stuck at the middle, but I like how this looks.




When it was time for the back lacing panel, I sewed the center back and edge stitched, pressed it flat, and sewed a parallel seam for the steel boning. I then sewed it the rest of the corset, securing the waist tape. Before I stitched the last channel down, I inserted a piece of plastic (from a plastic sleeve file) to support the eyelets.




And then I was ready to bind the edges!

No comments:

Post a Comment