Monday, January 19, 2015

Foundations Revealed 5 Senses Competition - dress diary part 5

The competition requires that the corset has a name... but what to call it?! I have struggled over this one, what word or phrase will encompass all that it means to me?

There is more to the human experience than the five senses, as individual elements; we have the ability to balance ourselves, we feel pressure, temperature, pain and motion, which involved the coordination of all the senses. We have proprioceptive sensors which are affected by gravity and stretch sensors found in muscles, skin and joints and enable us to feel our context in our surroundings.

Pondering these ideas, I contemplated what it means to wear a corset: it is not simply a garment for fashion, it is a choice, a desire, a drive or a need. It emboldens women (or men), it has a force in itself that impacts the viewer, it creates a hyper awareness for the wearer of their body, and yes, all their senses.

And then it came to me:

Synesthesia

Synesthesia is the phenomenon in which one type of stimulation evokes the sensation of another.

Wearing this corset, I am aware of myself in a different light, and when others try it on, I see the same effect. So there it is, my corset is named: Synesthesia - a union of the senses.




No comments:

Post a Comment